Monday, November 16, 2009

Linden Lab, You Fail at Advertising

Second Life is not yet a successful communications technology. There are many flaws, but I feel the biggest flaw it has is its current reputation. Before I knew I was going to have to use Second Life in this class I had seen it in a few different places. Both of which were on different television shows.

The first place I saw it was in an episode of CSI. The writers of CSI made it seem like some cool type of technology, but the role it had was in a slightly lesser light. The basis of the episode was that a serial killer was hunting down her different targets through Second Life. She then stalked them, and found their profile for personal information. This is how she found them in real life, and how she ended up killing her targets. Any game that you could be stalked through and killed would be unappealing, no matter how cool it looks.

The other place I saw Second Life was on an episode of The Office. One of the characters, Dwight, explains Second Life as “not a game. It is a multi-user virtual environment. It doesn’t have points or scores. It doesn’t have winners or losers.” To which the character Jim responds “Oh it has losers.” Later in the episode, Dwight creates a a game called Second Second Life within Second Life. This is for people who while playing their avatars, want to play avatars. This representation makes Second Life look like a dorky game that only losers play.

Just recently I was talking to one of my friends across the hall. I was talking about how we use Second Life in class to help us with our writing. My friend said something along the lines of “isn’t that one of those games that 30 year old losers play in their mom’s basement?” It is this image that is hindering Second Life’s advancement in the communication technology front. To someone who doesn’t know anything about Second Life, he had the “creepy” vibe. Linden Lab needs to fix this, and use their money to better promote Second Life, not as a serial killers paradise or loser hot spot.

3 Comments:

At Nov 19, 2009, 1:19:00 PM , Blogger the boll said...

Ryan,

I just wrote a comment but I am pretty sure it didn't actually post. Anyway, I think this is a very interesting post, and it is a great idea to use popular tv shows such as The Office and CSI to support your claim. One grammar mistake - change "in real like" to in real life. Also, make this sentence easier to read - Dwight goes on to create a Second Second Life within Second Life for people playing their avatars wanting to play avatars. Other than that, good post!

 
At Nov 19, 2009, 9:52:00 PM , Blogger lilschwo said...

oh Ryan you've really done some good work here. I love the office so anything with that as an example is awesome in my mind.

You're idea is also very well thought out. I'm just surprised that you found someone outside of our class who has heard of Second Life!

 
At Nov 30, 2009, 7:50:00 AM , Blogger Iggy O said...

You get a shout-out for the final paragraph on LL's failure to market the product. I will run that today! Good work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home