Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Where to go...

For this assignment, we have to pick an event to go to. This was planned very well because Burning Life is this week as well. Burning Life is a Second Life representation of the real Burning Man festival. My friend Sarah and I are planning to go to one of the events this Saturday, seeing as that was the only day either of us have time to do anything.

My professor told our class about how the real Burning Man festival just kind of happens. He described it as a huge festival that just appears does its thing and goes away. In Second Life, the links to the areas are also only open for a short period of time. After that time, Burning Life gets destroyed.

In the prompt for this assignment, it said that last year students had to go out of their “comfort zone” to travel to burning life. To me I do not feel as though this is the case. I feel as though I am this brave. My Second Life avatar is just that, an avatar. It is not really myself. Anything that he does will be seen as him doing it, not me even though it is me who is controlling him.

I don’t really know what to expect from my first real life Second Life party. I am excited mainly because of all the hype I have heard about Second Life events. I have heard about hackers trying to crash servers and cause chaos. My professor told us that there could possibly be hundreds of avatars at any one event. He also said they would probably come to these events more so than others because of the sense of urgency. Burning Life is only around for a few weeks, and then it is gone. On top of that, these events may only last for a few hours or so.

Overall I cannot wait to attend this, or any event in Second Life. I am a little bit anxious to actually travel to a place in Second Life where regular users will be. I want to see how that act and what they do in something they actually know how to use. I am unfortunately still a noob, and have a hard enough time getting from place to place. Maybe I can learn something at this event.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home