Sunday, October 18, 2009

Photo Hunt Part Deux!

My professor told me about a place where it simulated schizophrenia and the mental effects caused by it. The place was full of representations of different symptoms. These symptoms were animated to move like how a schizophrenic would see them.

skitzo1_001This is a picture of the first area. It is showing an office setting, and at first glance is only looks like the computers are opening and shutting by themselves, but the group of binders is also spinning. It seems like something that would just be annoying and something someone could just ignore, but to a schizophrenic I can see how it would be more than just a nuisance. They could possibly have to deal with this every day for the rest of their lives.

skitzo2_001The next part really caught me off guard. The floor was originally there, but after I passed some sort of trigger position, it vanished to what it looks like in the picture. The caption said that some people would see the floor this way and try to only walk on the stones. In the picture I tried to time it so that my avatar would be looking down at the floor as I took the picture.

skitzo3.5_001This final room was by far the scariest. There is a meaningless TV, which seems to do nothing… until you turn your sound on. This whisper of a voice is just saying things to you. My professor said that one of his colleagues had nightmares from this place, and until this room, I could not see how that was possible. I did not let the sound play long enough to hear what the voice was actually trying to say to me, but one of the captions said that voices try to tell people to take officers’ guns.

Overall I thought the exhibit was very enlightening. Before I visited here, I did not know anything about schizophrenics or schizophrenia. I do not know how I would deal with most of these symptoms.

1 Comments:

At Oct 21, 2009, 11:40:00 AM , Blogger Iggy O said...

Excellent post. I think I'll run the risk of touring the site as soon as Burning Life ends.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home