Monday, November 30, 2009

I don't get it…

For one of my classes I have written three papers. I really do not understand the grades I got on them given the amount of work I put into them.

On the first paper, I wrote about four drafts and revisions. I met with a writing tutor to get even more feedback and ideas to make it better. After I had most of it written, I even sent it to my professor to revise and give me even more feedback. I handed in the paper and when I got it back I got a C+. I thought maybe this was just a fluke and the next one will be better.

On my second paper, I still wrote about three or four revisions. Again I met with a writing tutor as well. This one I did not email to my professor prior to handing it in. I felt pretty good about my writing for this paper. I have been writing consistently in my other English class and had been doing pretty well. When I got my paper back, I got a C. I actually went down in grade.

My final paper I put off till the very last minute. I was in the library the night before it was due typing it. I only spent about an hour and a half on the first draft. I barely made any revisions to it, and thought the paper was total crap. I did not write more than one draft, I did not get tutored on it, and I did not send it to my professor before handing it in, nothing. I handed it in hoping to at least get a passing grade on the paper. Much to my surprise, when I got back my paper, I got a B+. This is the best grade I have gotten in this class on a paper by ten points!

It seems like the grade I get on those papers is inversely proportionate to the amount of effort I put into them. It can’t be that all three of my grades were flukes, could it? Maybe for the first two papers I should have merely spark noted the books and done them the day before they were due.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home